13 September 2013

I'm feeling crafty today...

Oh, I can't resist a good pun.  Adam has certainly rubbed off on me these last few years.  :)

Anyway, I've been in a crafty mood lately and just needed a visit to the store to pick up some things to get rolling.  My first project, which I started last night but finished this morning, is a small drawstring bag made from a washcloth for my bar of soap in the shower.  Lately, Anne keeps trying to grab the soap and eat it during her baths, and storage space in our shower is rather limited (I'll come back to this issue later), so I needed something to get it out of her way.  I stumbled across an idea similar to this on Pinterest and made it work for me.  The original idea took two washcloths and sewed them together into a simple bag.  It works like a loofah and doesn't leave a soapy mess where you store it.  Well, I was looking at washcloths and decided that two would make a rather large bag.  In the end, I purchased a pack of baby washcloths (6 pack for $5) because they are smaller, thinner, and I could get more for less.  I only used one for my bag, so Anne will get the rest.  I just sewed it up by hand (it seemed a waste of time to try and get my hands on a machine for something that would only take a few minutes once I got it going), added a bit of cord for the drawstring, and voila!  Nothing to it, really.
Now, my next issue was the amount of storage space in the shower.  There really is only room for our shampoos and conditioners and Adam's washcloth.  I came up with a super easy and cheap storage solution that, if it doesn't work out, I'm okay with it and not out very much money.  I purchased a cheap shower curtain from Target (something like $2.25), and used an empty juice container and my lovely new glue gun.
I pulled the label off the juice container and cut it so I could use the bottom half.  Sorry, but I don't have pictures of the process.  Once I got going, I sort of forgot and well, all you have is the start and the finished product.  Anyway, I also cut a few holes in the bottom so that water could drain out and it would be less likely to accrue mildew.  Then I pulled out my shower curtain and cut it as well.  I figured I only needed the top foot and a half or so, and three holes at the top to hook into the shower curtain rings ought to do it.  I cut two pieces about the same size, and then cut one of them so it was only about 6 inches tall.  That one I hot glued upside down to the bottom of the other.  I also glued on juice container.  The final product here
can give you an idea of what I did, in case I confused anyone (wouldn't be the first time).  So now I can store my new soap bag as well as my razor and Anne's rubber ducks.  And if it doesn't work, or the weight eventually pulls too much on the holes on the top, I've still got more curtain to work with.  Also, there's a bunch from the bottom that I can use in case I need a large sheet of plastic for anything.  Right now, I'm thinking it would make a good cape or two...

And, lastly, I finally finished a project I started about two months ago.  And by finished, I mean I finally had my glue gun out and spent a whole minute finishing this.

Not too shabby, really, considering I've never made a stuffed animal before and I was working from a picture rather than a pattern.  But now that it's done, I can put it in a box and mail it off to my unborn nephew.

Up next, a birthday banner for Anne's party, a cute button decoration for her room, and a lovely Halloween costume that I've already started.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment